Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It all began with some inspiration..........our first project!!!

As a result of my love for reading other people's blogs, and drooling over all the home improvement and decorating ideas that other people come up with........I ran across this wonderful blog, Knock Off Wood with tons of inspiration for building Pottery Barn style furniture, on a much smaller budget! I have ALWAYS loved everything Pottery Barn, so this of course had me wishing that we could build this stuff ourselves. Thanks to Ana's awesome plans, and the new tools, a new hobby began!

So it all began when I saw this Pottery Barn picture of the Hyde Coffee Table and Ana's plans showing us how to build it. Of course, I love the whole sectional couch and table, but let's start with the coffee table.
As soon as I saw the plans, I introduced Ana's blog to Michael and he ran with the plans and the ideas. We cleaned out the garage of TONS of junk so that we could make room for the official workshop area. Michael went to Lowe's for the first lumber shopping trip on his own.
A couple 2x4's, 1x6, and a 4x4 and it was time for some serious building to begin.
Michael quickly realized that we needed some vice grips, so we lucked out when we called to ask his dad if he had any in his shop that we could borrow. :-) They came in very handy in keeping this table together as we used the wood glue.
 
Here is our coffee table in its current state. We still need to stain it, but we just can't decide on stain colors. For now, I'm loving the natural look and enjoying finally having a coffee table in the living room. We couldn't find untreated 4x4's, so the pressure treated lumber adds to the character of the table. 
I think Michael did an AWESOME job with his first furniture project. 
It was at this point that the unending project list began.
 Coffee Table? 
Check.
End Tables? 
Next Project!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment